Translate

Tuesday 7 May 2013

Waiting For The Sky To Fall - Richard Grieco


Musical tastes and trends tend to vary from different eras as these are the times we live in and that's how I'd describe my taste in music too: varied, eclectic, never the same.  I buy an album, CD cos I like the songs or the artist or both and sometimes on a whim.  So when Richard Grieco released his debut album Waiting for the Sky To Fall back in 1995, you could say I was amongst the first to snap it up.  Okay I had German connections!  But also gotta thank RTL4 in The Netherlands, not only did they show Booker un-encrypted on satellite, but they also played the video of Waiting For the Sky to Fall, so at least could watch that and wear out the video tape.  I still have it along with my Booker eps (yes on video! SO?)  At least the original songs on the show and the theme song, Billy Idol's Hot In the City, are still intact, since DVD/song copyright made it difficult for these to be transferred onto the DVD release. (In 2009).

The CD is still available if you look, sites such as amazon and ebay always have a copy or two, there are also some sites where you can download individual songs.  Good news is Richard uploaded it to iTunes so it's available to a wider audience now.  For those who missed out, would love to relive their misspent youth, something about that phrase which makes me refer to it over, never mind.  I'll think of a different one eventually.

It may not appeal to everyone and some may even call it an acquired taste, with which I don't agree.  Yeah I admit my reason for getting it was cos it was Richard's creation, so I was/still am into anything he does.  Been a fan for 25 years and counting - quarter century kind of sounds cool.  Dedication, obsession who cares!

Richard has a distinct voice, he sounds a little Bryan Adams to me and a lot of his lyrics are meaningful, others are just rocking.  Many of the tracks were used in Richards show, Marker which was enjoyable too and would have run for a lot longer, but them's the decisions of Networks, they get it wrong 90% of the time! As Fox did with Booker! Tsk.

My favourite song is the title Waiting for the Sky to Fall for various reasons, it can pick you up when you're down, at least it worked for me, sending me to a whole different thought plane.  Music is often called a drug, but one that doesn't cause you to have withdrawals unless you're waiting around for more songs.  The album was successful in its native Germany where it was released and most of Europe.  It's edgy with a sophisticated style and sound.

The Track I believe In You for some reason took me back to being at school, college, it was a song about being young and carefree. Lasting/losing friendships.
Okay there are a few out there who wanted me to mention Lay Your Body Down cos it sends them to a whole other plane, one of fantasy and dreams (wet) ooh!  There done.

You will know Richard from 21 Jump Street and spin off  series Booker.  As well as various other films, movies such as If Looks Could Kill (aka Teen Agent in UK), Mobsters.  Currently he's concentrating on his art.  His paintings are terrific, check out his site 

and follow on Twitter @Richard_Grieco and Facebook.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/waiting-for-the-sky-to-fall/id451058342  Songs available here

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Article intéressant et j avoue ne pas connaitre la carrière musicale de richard grieco dans son intregralite mais tu as éveillé ma curiosite... :D madamglam