Translate

Tuesday 28 August 2018

The Lieutenant of Inishmore - Noel Coward Theatre


An unusual play in some respects, but have to say the ending was predictable and didn't come as a surprise.  Definitely one for cat lovers and once you see this those never ending cat Gifs will be seen in a new light.  Very gory in places for those with easily turned stomachs, although the blood wasn't real.  Wee Thomas turned out to be such a scoundrel after all!  And appeared as a real black cat whose name was Lenny!

Lots of references to the INLA, IRA and splinter groups.  Padraic's (Aidan Turner) opinion of a splinter group: "that's two words".  Though he would've branched out with his own splinter group and called it !Wee Thomas" after his beloved cat.  He was classed as "mad" and losing the plot over the loss of his cat was hilarious at times, but not at others.  Don't call me a killjoy but I wasn't really lough out loud amused with the entirety of it, as was this particular audience!  Perhaps I'm picky!

Overall the cast did an apt job in their respective characters, but gotta say Aidan Turner for all the critic's views and reviews, didn't feature that much and was just his usual self.  For me he didn't really bring anything, much of anything to this role.  Fans of Poldark would've loved him, I'm not a fan of the show or of him, so maybe that left me wanting, who knows.  But this is the one and only time I haven't written a very favourable review about a play.  Generally I love them all, I breathe theatre and always come away with a feeling of satisfaction and much admiration for the production.  But to each their own.

Though I have to add many were disappointed at not getting to see Aidan close up and getting autographs.  That was a bit mean on his part calling, "that's all" when there were many waiting to see him.  If I was a fan I'd be disappointed!  AT least I get to meet my faves after their performances and they sign/speak'photo op at much length too.  That's always a bonus!  And as I tweeted, sometimes there's only two in a certain production and they take time out to meet each and every one waiting for them at Stage Door.  (I won't name drop here!) A shame then that Aidan didn't quite follow through on this.

No I won't award marks out of ten either!  Spoilt sport!

No comments: