Translate

Tuesday 20 June 2017

Bruce Greenwood Dirty Dancing Still Impressing Us...

                                                      Image result for bruce greenwood on the piano in dirty dancing
Bruce Greenwood's Metro UK interview on Dirty Dancing was revealing to say the least.  As was his portrayal of Dr Jake Housman, okay that wasn't revealing cos we all know the legend that is Bruce, or at least he will be by the time I've finished with him.  Of course he is Bruce and can do no wrong. But he is still so very underrated!

Whether you loved the remake/reboot/whatever you want to describe it as such, he never let the production down and his singing once again was marvellous!  His rendition of They Can't Take That Away From Me was sublime and he sounded 30 years younger there.  Yeah let me use his use of the '30 years' reference!

See here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEObe7c9b60

The song was sung by Fred Astaire to Ginger Rogers in Shall We Dance (1937)

Anyway returning to his interview, "there was a scene with me and a piano.  A love scene with me on a  piano!"  As peoples' imaginations run riot!  But he admits he isn't a piano player and had to learn
the chords. What came as a surprise to me (yes as much as I know everything about him, there are some things that still allude me) was that Bruce isn't a piano player.  As well as how "I spent a long time trying to figure out what those inversions are and I don't read music."
Again that's a surprise as he's such a versatile guitar player, thought he'd be all into that.  Plus I confess I sent him some music last year so he must've thought, "Mila what???!!! were you thinking??!!"  Heck I was even going to give him some lyrics I've written and get, okay, not so much get, as ask him to put them to some from of musical refrain or chorus.   More fool me!! Ha.  Maybe I'll send those out this year anyway on his birthday on 12 August

Hey that's why the next book, volume 2 will be compiled with his input and help.  Not yet of course, let's give him time to get more accolades under his belt!

Bruce: "...ultimately I figured out what the changes were and they stayed on my fingers long enough to know that, 'okay it looks like he can play.'"
Adding, "I would have given anything to have another song.  Absolutely" and so would we have, maybe sold a few souls!!  One song was just plain mean, irrespective of whether you liked the version or not!

https://www.amazon.com/Essentially-Bruce-Greenwood-Actor-Musician/dp/1326589091/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1498006110&sr=8-9&keywords=mila+hasan

No comments: